Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I am Jake soon to be for sale!

My family began a journey almost 2 years ago with my son Luke to find out how we could help him. Last year he was diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum with PDD NOS and also an anxiety disorder. In addition, he struggles with fine and gross motor delays and sensory integration. Through the past 2 years he has received remarkable treatment and services through Child Find as well as private therapy. He is making progress every day. Progress to me means that he is becoming more comfortable in his own skin, and he is beginning to enjoy life more in his own way. Through this journey, a year and a half ago I began writing a story about his unique personality and amazing character. It turned into a children's book to have a conversation with my child about the strengths and struggles that are a part of his life on the spectrum. I am also a therapist that works with children with Autism Spectrum Disorders and their families. Many of the children or adolescents I see wonder what makes them different. Many of the families I work with look for a way to have that conversation. I, as a therapist, also look for ways to educate and have that conversation with children in a way that leads them to be empowered through their difference. That is where I hope "I am Jake: My Life on the Autism Spectrum" will help. Through our journey with Luke we have implemented many strategies in the home that have helped my son with his aversion to change and anxiety to anything new and many other struggles. Some of those helpful tips are in the book. I can't wait to share it with you. My mission is to spread education and awareness that will lead to support and acceptance of children and their families on the spectrum.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Stefany! Ths book and your blog will be a huge resource for kids, parents and teachers especially. Autism and kids on the spectrum are so misunderstood by so many. Your work is helping to change that!

    ReplyDelete